Monday, November 24, 2008

Asahi Grill family dining

We frequently go out to dinner with my mom. She prefers a casual, down-home atmosphere to anything fancy and pretentious. BYOB is a plus for her. So the first time I went to Asahi Grill, I knew she'd like it.

Asahi Grill is on Ward Avenue where there used to be a Burger King once upon a time. It's next to the Kanai Tofu Factory.



They have a some of Kapiolani Coffee Shop's recipes -- most notably, the award-winning Oxtail Soup (small $9.75, regular $11.95).

This one is the small, but it was pretty big. The flavor was good. Be forewarned, it was liberally sprinkled with chinese parsley. We like chinese parsley, so it wasn't a problem for us, though. We only wish they would've used meatier oxtails.

Kids seem to like the Fried rice (small $4.75, regular $6.25) with egg (costs extra), another Kapiolani recipe.

To me, the Fried Rice is just okay. There's lots of chopped mystery meat in there (in other words, I couldn't figure out what the meat was) and no real vegetables (like peas or carrots) to speak of. Maybe that's why the kids like it?

My mom liked the Chop Steak ($7.75). She said it had a teriyaki (shoyu with sugar) sauce on it. The day I had it, it was super salty. Almost inedible, it was so salty. I think they must have put salt instead of sugar :( and the onions were so raw I had onion breath for a day or two.


  
The Hamburger Steak ($8.25) is an 8 oz homemade hamburger patty with grilled onions, topped with gravy, served plate-lunch style (2 scoops rice and mac salad).  We thought it was only so-so. Kind of bland, tasted better with salt.

I like their Teishoku. I've had the Salmon ($11.75) before, but this time I had the Chicken Teriyaki ($9.50).

There are three chicken thighs, miso soup with noodles, pickles, tofu, salad, rice and mac salad.

I always thought Donburi was a bowl of rice with stuff on top with a runny egg over all, so I never order it. Hubby ordered the Spicy Ahi Don. No runny egg here! It was the sweet rolled up egg they put on sushi. In fact, the whole dish was like a huge handroll sushi without the seaweed wrapper: sushi rice, avocado, cucumber, sweet egg, ahi, tobiko and spicy mayo dressing.


There are always quite a few tables with kids at Asahi Grill. They also serve breakfast all day.


Asahi Grill
515 Ward Avenue
Honolulu, HI
Ph 808.593.2800

Hours: Sunday - Thursday 6:30 am - 10:00 pm, Friday-Saturday 6:30 am - 11:00 pm

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home