Sunday, November 23, 2008

Yo-yo-yogurtland on University

Dont' ask me why I named this entry that since I think Randy Jackson sounds so wannabe cool when he says "yo yo yo, dog." Anyhoo... One of our favorite family treats these days is going to Yogurtland (or "Logurtland" as my three-year would say) across from the University of Hawaii Architecture building (kitty-corner from Sinclair Library and where Burger King used to be, for you old-school-types). It's not cheap ($0.39/oz), but it's pretty healthy and the variety keeps it entertaining.

This is a lousy picture but I'm usually operating a vehicle when we're near it during the day and drive-by shootings just aren't my thing.



Inside, the shop is bright and cheery.

Frozen yogurt bars have been on the mainland for a while, but they're kind of a novelty here, so they definitely needed some explanatory signage to familiarize us backward island folk how to do this "new-fangled" dessert thing.


Basically, it's take a cup, fill it with yogurt since it's low in calories, put toppings on, DO NOT EAT BEFORE YOU PAY, put it on the scale, brace yourself for shock, then hand over your firstborn.



Oh yeah, and don't get caught taking pictures! They're prohibited. Oops. Can't read, sorry :(

I tried a smidgen of almost all of the flavors one night (and forgot to take pictures) and it cost $4-something. I decided that my favorite flavors were plain, taro and green tea. Hubby likes taro. The plain kind of reminds me of the flavor of Yami Yogurt. The taro is vaguely reminiscent of the taro jelly pods, but tastier. My son usually chooses the tart flavors, but I'm not sure that he knows what he's asking for. This time he chose tart blueberry and cookies and cream. The tart flavors are definitely tart. The cookies and cream was kind of lame. Nothing like cookies and cream ice cream where it really tastes like Oreo cookies in sweet, milky cream.



Here's Hubby's taro with cheesecake topping:


Here's my plain and taro with cheesecake topping:


Can you tell who used to work at TCBY in high school?

We also tried Menchie's (frozen yogurt shop similar to this) which just opened recently at Ward Warehouse, across from Ward Theaters, in a space that used to be part of the Executive Chef. I'd say the flavors at Menchie's are brighter and more vibrant, and the taro is less salty, but at $0.43/oz for Menchie's, Yogurtland is totally good enough for me.

University of Hawaii at Manoa Yogurtland
1810 University Avenue (in the Atherton YMCA building)
Honolulu, Hawaii 96822
Ph 808.951.4444

Hours
: Daily 9 am - 10 pm

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home